Moving… It’s something no one likes to think about, let alone do.
Whether you’re leaving home for the first time or a life-long renter, moving is never fun… and it never seems to get any easier. First, there’s going through the house and taking inventory of what we need and don’t need – if you’re like me, then the need pile always seems to get bigger. Then there’s the packing and loading, and inevitable house cleaning that follows – and let’s not forget having to schedule a move or organize truck pick-up…
As professional movers, we’ve seen the stress that moving can cause on people. In an effort to save people some of the aggravation associated with moving, we’ve put together this list of 10 life-hacks to make your next move easier.
- Create a Schedule or Timeline
- Make it as strict or loose as you like, but having a written plan in place really really helps to cut down on the amount of stuff to keep track of.
- Get Your Supplies Together
- A week or two before your move, start getting together the packing supplies you will need. Make sure you have enough boxes, tape, plastic wrap, moving blankets, etc. before your moving day.
- Take Pictures of Your Electronics
- This will save you the headache of trying to remember how your stereo, cable box and television were all plugged-in.
- Use Your Drawers as Moving Boxes
- Instead of emptying all the clothes out of your drawer or bureau and putting them in a box, you can save time and space by keeping everything in them and wrapping them completely in plastic wrap.
- Keep Your Packing Organized
- Don’t start throwing things from your bedroom into boxes for the living room. You’ll go insane unpacking after the move trying to find where you put everything. It may help to label, or list the contents of your box
- Put Screws and Bolts in Bags
- If you need to dismantle anything, make sure to keep screws and bolts organized in clearly labeled bags so you don’t lose them.
- Use Soft Padding Around the House for Packing
- Instead of buying bubble wrap or saving up newspaper, you can use soft items around the house for packing, like towels, jackets, blankets and pillows.
- Use Paper Towel Rolls to Prevent Tangling
- You can string electronics cords and wires through paper towel rolls to keep them from tangling during moving. Toilet paper rolls can also be used for necklaces and jewelry to prevent tangling.
- Update Utilities and Addresses
- Switch over your internet and turn on utilities for your residence before moving. Make sure any mail subscriptions or online accounts are updated with your new address.
- Pack a 1st Day Box
- Pack a dedicated box of items you will need immediately after moving: clothes for the week, toiletries, quick meals.
An easier move.
While moving is never totally stress-free, these tips will definitely make your next move a lot easier. Don’t forget, professional movers are here to help. We take the utmost care in moving our clients, whether it’s a residential or commercial move. Let us handle the stress, contact us before your next move.Share: