Ready to retire and live a life of sun, relaxation, socializing, and excitement? There’s no better place than Tampa, home to dozens of amazing 55 plus retirement communities that boast world-class features, a range of home styles, and tons of social activities.
Note that most active adult communities in Tampa Bay are in surrounding communities, not Tampa itself. However, you won’t be far outside the city and enjoy all the benefits of active senior living with more space and amenities.
Here’s a look at our 7 top picks for Tampa retirement communities.
What Is a 55+ Community?
A 55+ community, also known as a retirement or active adult community, is designed for residents aged 55 and older. Most of these communities are age-restricted so only people who are 55 or older can buy a home with few exceptions. This means you’ll be surrounded by people of a similar age with homes, features, and amenities designed with you in mind.
Benefits of Living in a 55+ Community in Tampa Bay
Not sure if an active adult community in Tampa is the right move for you? Forget what you think you know about retirement communities; they definitely aren’t boring! Here are some of the top perks of living in an active adult community.
- Age restrictions mean you’ll be living around people of a similar age with similar interests to make it easier to enjoy social activities and make friends
- Low-maintenance living
- Strong sense of community
- Convenient location near shopping, restaurants, highways, beaches, and medical facilities
- Tons of amenities designed with you in mind from resort-style pools and sports courts to walking trails and dog parks in the community
- A calendar of social activities, special interest clubs, social clubs, and events
"*" indicates required fields
Looking For A New Home In The Area? Let Us Connect You With A Local Real Estate Professional.
We know a little about moving. A successful move starts early, having the right Real Estate team makes a big difference.
Del Webb Bexley – Gated Resort-Style Active Adult Community in Tampa Bay
Interested in Florida resort-style living in retirement? Del Webb Bexley is one of the latest 55 plus communities in Tampa Bay! Located in The Meridian at Bexley, a master-planned community, Del Webb Bexley features larger 2- to 5-bedroom homes ranging from $285,000 to $475,000. You’ll enjoy plenty of space but low maintenance living that gives you more time to enjoy what matters.
The Meridian at Bexley boasts tons of amenities you’ll love. The 19,000-square-foot clubhouse and amenity campus offers an on-site bistro, fitness center, pools, sports courts, and more. You can even enjoy shopping, catching up with friends, good food, and live music at The Hub at Bexley, a commercial center in the heart of Land O’ Lakes.
View this post on Instagram
- Address: 19265 Del Webb Blvd, Land O’ Lakes, FL 34638
- Website: https://www.bexleyflorida.com/homes/del-webb-bexley/
- Phone: (813) 412-8842
- Amenities: 19,000-square-foot clubhouse and amenity campus, on-site restaurant, pools, sports courts, fitness center, Lifestyle Director overseeing classes and clubs, scheduled group fitness classes, special interest groups, amphitheater, community garden, nearby commercial district, single-family homes, low maintenance living
Sun City Center, FL – One of the Largest & Most Affordable 55+ Communities in Tampa
Home to more than 24,000 seniors, Sun City Center is one of the largest active adult communities in Tampa Bay. The city, 20 miles south of Tampa, also has a reputation as one of the best over 55 retirement villages in Florida!
This self-contained community has everything you’ve ever dreamed of enjoying in retirement, from over 140 holes of golf, six pools, and tennis courts to social clubs, frequent community events, and nearby beaches. You’ll always find something to do, whether it’s spending the morning at the beach just 20 minutes away, dancing clubs, art clubs, card games, or sports.
There are six separate housing communities in Sun City Center, each nestled along ponds, lakes, and palm trees. SCC has condos, duplexes, and single-family homes ranging from $50,000 to over $350,000. It also boasts low annual dues of just $300! It’s certainly one of the most affordable 55+ communities in Tampa, but you won’t miss out on the activities and recreation you’re looking for.
- Address: Sun City Center, FL 33573
- Website: https://www.suncitycenter.org/
- Phone: (813) 633-4670
- Amenities: Range of affordable housing options for sale or rent, indoor and outdoor pools, game courts, hobby and fitness centers, dozens of clubs for socializing and activities, 10,000-square-foot theater, near the beach
Esplanade of Tampa – Exciting Pet-Friendly Retirement Community in Tampa
Nestled between I-75 and the Lower Hillsborough Wilderness Preserve is Esplanade of Tampa, an exciting and amenity-packed retirement community in Tampa.
Enjoy planned resort-style amenities coordinated by a Lifestyle Manager and an upscale Clubhouse with billiards, entertaining space, and activity rooms. Outdoors, you’ll love the resort-style pool and hot tub with lounge chairs and cabanas plus lush landscaping, a fire pit, a dog park, and game courts.
Esplanade of Tampa is one of the top 55 and older communities in Tampa for active seniors who appreciate outdoor recreation. There are about 300 single-family homes with California Tuscan architecture in the community that overlook 20 acres of lakes and 45 acres of natural wetlands.
- Address: 8490 Alberata Vista Dr, Tampa, FL 33647
- Website: https://www.esplanadetampa.com/
- Phone: (813) 336-8085
- Amenities: Outdoor amphitheater, amenity campus, full-time Lifestyle Manager, 5,000-square-foot clubhouse, fitness center, cards and billiards room, nature trails, resort-style pool, outdoor fireplace, bocce and pickleball courts, tennis courts, dog park, single-family homes
Lakeview of Largo – Waterfront 55+ Condo Community for Maintenance Free Living
Lakeview of Largo is one of the most sought-after 55+ retirement communities in Tampa Bay! Located in Largo just 22 miles west of Tampa across Old Tampa Bay, you’ll be within walking distance of restaurants, shopping, and Indian Rocks Beach.
Lakeview of Largo is a condo community that offers a maintenance free retirement with one- and two-bedroom condos typically under $200,000. There are over 300 condos in 6 three-story buildings with elevators. If walking distance to medical facilities, parks, and recreation isn’t enough, you’ll also enjoy plenty of on-site amenities. There are three pools, including a heated pool and hot tub that overlook a quiet lake with fishing. It truly doesn’t get better than this!
- Address: 14130 Rosemary Lane, Largo, FL 33774
- Website: http://lakeviewoflargo.com/
- Phone: (727) 595-7385
- Amenities: Clubhouse, walking distance to shops and restaurants, near the beach, pools and hot tubs, fishing lake, social activities, fitness center, billiards, shuffleboard court
Medley at Southshore Bay – New Active Adult Community Surrounding Crystal Lagoon
Located between Tampa and Bradenton in Wimauma, this exciting and brand-new retirement community has everything you’re looking for. At Medley at Southshore Bay, it’s all about the water-inspired amenities including the 5.5-acre Crystal Lagoon. Enjoy paddleboarding, kayaking, and swimming in the crystal blue waters with a swim-up bar.
Medley is a separate 55+ community within the Southshore Bay master-planned community with its own gated entrance. You’ll enjoy an exclusive pool, pickleball, and an upscale clubhouse plus access to all the other Southshore Bay amenities like golf court paths.
You’ll find villas and single-family homes in the community ranging from 1,400 to 2,800 square feet. Monthly HOA fees are under $350 and homes start in the high $100s.
View this post on Instagram
- Address: 16910 Scuba Crest St, Wimauma, FL 33598
- Website: https://www.lennar.com/New-Homes/Florida/Tampa/Wimauma/Medley-at-Southshore-Bay
- Phone: (877) 204-0927
- Amenities: Access to Crystal Lagoon in Southshore Bay, kayaking, swimming, paddleboarding, swim-up bar, pool, golf cart paths, clubhouse, villas and single-family homes
Southshore Falls – Large Over 55 Retirement Village Near the Beach
Looking for a large and active 55+ retirement village near Tampa? Don’t overlook Del Webb’s Southshore Falls in Apollo Beach. Just minutes from the beach and shopping, it features almost 900 single-family homes and condos. Homes in the community were constructed between 2004 and 2016 but its amenities are always kept up-to-date.
Southshore Falls is ideal for active adults who like the location of Sun City Center but want a newer home. You’ll enjoy maintenance-free living and the amenities you’re after with affordable prices. Homes usually sell around the $130s. There’s a range of single-family homes as well as villas ranging from 1,400 to 2,600 square feet. This includes attached duplexes and attached villas laid out in quads, most of which have screened lanais.
The centerpiece of Southshore Falls is the 14,000-square-foot Wellspring Club which boasts a fitness center, internet café, billiards room, putting green, and bocce ball courts. There’s even a resort-style pool and a resistance pool for enjoying Tampa Bay’s beautiful weather.
- Address: 5815 Sunset Falls Drive, Apollo Beach, FL 33572
- Website: https://www.southshorefalls.net/
- Phone: (877) 333-5932
- Amenities: Gated, clubhouse, fitness center, swimming pool, resistance pool, bocce ball, putting green, billiards, single-family homes and villas, Apollo Beach Dog Park nearby, minutes from the beach
GET CONNECTED TO A LOCAL REAL ESTATE PROFESSIONAL
Valencia del Sol – Beautiful Gated Senior Community with Resort-Style Amenities
Enjoy fitness and fun in one of the newest active retirement communities in Tampa Bay! Valencia Del Sol is located in Wimauma and boasts a massive 25,000-square-foot clubhouse and amenities that are hard to find – even in a region known for its world-class 55+ communities.
Valencia Del Sol has an on-site restaurant with outdoor and indoor seating for residents. The large event lawn hosts movie nights, farmer’s markets, live music, and more throughout the year. There are plenty of courts for enjoying sports and staying active plus a bustling social calendar. It’s even dog friendly with a dog park in the neighborhood.
However, Valencia Del Sol is one of Tampa’s most expensive over 55 communities with single-family homes and low-maintenance villas ranging from the $300s to the $500s.
Address: 15580 Corona Del Mar Dr, Wimauma, FL 33598
Phone: (800) 495-6540
Amenities: Large clubhouse, dog park, bocce courts, tennis and pickleball courts, event lawn with frequent events and activities, on-site restaurant, fire pit area, yoga studio, fitness center, sports lounge with billiards, resort-style pool with beach entry, whirlpool spa, cabanas
Map of Best 55+ Communities in Tampa
Are you ready to start living your golden years with style, comfort, and fun? Tampa Bay is home to some of the most exciting retirement communities in America with resort-quality amenities and affordability. Once you’ve narrowed down your options and settled on your dream community, give 2 College Brothers a call at 813-922-1528 for a full-service moving quote in Tampa.