Save Money. Be Protected. Enjoy a Smooth Move.
We know everybody’s moving situation is unique. We train our Gainesville movers and Tampa Movers to adapt to whatever special circumstances are needed, however, the more uniform the situation, the more likely the smoothest possible relocation will take place. Below are some tips to ensure that your experience with 2 College Brothers, or whichever mover you choose, is the best move you have ever had!
Book your move as far in advance as you can, as early in the day as possible.
Most movers can only guarantee the start time of the first job of the day. Your mover will shoot to always be on schedule, however, sometimes prior jobs take longer than expected, and inclement weather, particularly afternoon thunderstorms, can become a factor. 2 College Brothers moves close to 2,000 people per year, which means there will be multiple jobs each day, especially during peak season, so keep this in mind!
Provide as many details about your move as you can.
Oftentimes people think they will save money by under reporting the items needed to be moved. Because most local moving companies charge on an hourly basis, this generally results in the price going above the estimated total. By letting your mover know as many details about the move as you can, they can give you the most accurate estimate to budget for, and it ensures that we will be properly equipped with the right sized truck, amount of movers, protective materials, and special equipment or tools that will help expedite the process and protect your items. Details to look for include:
- List of furniture and number of boxes being moved
- Anything requiring assembly or disassembly
- Anything particularly heavy, valuable, or fragile
- Pianos, pool tables, armoires, artwork, electronics, etc.
- List any special circumstances such as:
- Gate codes
- Long hallways
- Difficult to find locations
- Extra stops
- Extra garage, attic, or storage space
Notify management of any pets or potentially hazardous conditions.
Some people are allergic to pets and nobody likes their furniture sneezed on! It’s ok if something isn’t clean, that’s part of why you are moving! Just let your mover know so they can bring gloves, masks or anything else to protect the health of their team members.
Have everything packed and ready to go!
- Good movers are happy to provide packing services, however this may result in an additional charge. Unless you specifically request packing services, your movers may not know to bring the materials needed to do the job right. Small or awkward items are difficult to stack safely inside of a truck if they are not packed into boxes, and several small items means more trips back and forth to the truck, causing the job to take longer, costing more money!Pack the heaviest items like books, canned goods or files into small boxes. Boxes should never weigh more than 50 pounds, as this can jeopardize the integrity of the box. Make sure fragile items are individually wrapped in boxes, and packing paper or peanuts are used to fill in open gaps.
Save money by being organized!
- If you have all boxes in a central location, your movers can work as quickly as possible
- If boxes are labeled, your mover will know exactly which rooms they go in
- Break down beds, dressers, couches, desks, etc. It is no problem if you do not know how, or do not have time, a good mover has the tools to do so, but this will save them time, and save you money!
Transport any small, awkward, fragile and sentimental items yourself.
- These items may take extra time and cost securing and protecting. If something small like a laptop, heirloom, or piece of art is extremely important to you, it just makes sense to transport it yourself. Make sure to be very clear with the movers of the item’s significance if you would still like them to transport it. Depending on the item and situation, they may have you sign a release of liability.
If loading a rental truck make sure to provide blankets and tie downs.
- Because you will be moving out of the area, you must provide your own pads and tie downs as the local mover you hire will not be able to get their own back. They should still bring out stretch wrap, but you will want max padding for a long distance move. The mover may not be responsible for any damages that may result in transportation of a truck not driven by its team. Once you are satisfied with the load up and sign off, the mover is no longer liable, so make sure the crew has everything they need to pack the truck safely. You can rent moving pads and other equipment from the truck rental facility.