Plant City, FL, is an incorporated city located in Hillsborough County. The original name was Itchepackesassa for an Indian village that lived there. Later it was renamed after Henry B Plant, who created and built the railroad that got incorporated into the South Florida Railroad system.
Plant City is known for being the winter strawberry capital of the world and is the host of the annual strawberry festival for the state of Florida.
If you’re looking for a family-friendly community to call home, Plant City is a great place to live.
Where Is Plant City?
Plant City is located in the northeast section of Hillsborough county and between Brandon and Lakeland near Interstate 4.
The closest big city is Tampa. It is roughly 25 miles from Plant City to Tampa, FL.
While Plant City doesn’t have public transportation, they are in the process of bringing it back to the community after being discontinued in the mid-2000s. Until the bus routes are back up and running, there are options like Uber and Lyft to get around the city.
Plant City Population & Demographics
The population of Plant City is 39,437, which is an increase of 5,043 residents since 2010. The population density in Plant City is 1,429.9 per square mile, and it’s a tourist attraction.
Plant City demographics breakdown:
- 51% White, 14% African American, 31% Hispanic, 4% Biracial
- Gender Breakdown: 53.1% female and 46.9% male
- 13.4% Foreign-Born Population
- Median Age: 36 years old
- Educational Attainment: 83.1% of the residents have received their High School Diploma, and 22.7% went on to get their Bachelor’s degree
Two of the most notable people that was from Plant City include:
Pam Tillis: is a famous country singer, songwriter, actress, and record producer.
Clay Roberts: is the coach for the indoor soccer team: Florida Tropics SC.
The total crime rate is 3,109 per 100k people, which is 25.5% higher than the national average. Even though the crime rate is higher there are still plenty of safe and family-friendly neighborhoods within Plant City.
Plant City, FL, is protected by the City of Plant City Police Department, and 48 sworn officers are serving the community.
Cost of Living in Plant City
The cost of living is affordable, with a COLI of 7.5% lower than the national average.
The Economic Policy Institute recommends that a family of four bring in an annual amount of $83,587 to live comfortably. Click here to try out the calculator.
Typical Plant City Living Expenses (Numbeo):
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $22.00
- Domestic Beer (1 pint draught): $6.00
- Milk (regular, 1 gallon): $4.12
- Bread (1 loaf): $3.15
- Oranges (1 lb): $1.72
- Apples (1 lb): $2.02
- Beef Round (1 lb): $6.49
- Eggs (regular, 12): $3.30
- Average Cost of Gasoline per gallon: $4.54
- Fitness Club (Per Month, 1 Adult): $30.40
- Average Plant City utilities per month: $386.00
The median household income for Plant City is $54,933, which is below the state average of $57,703. Even though the household income is lower than the state average, Plant City is still a great place to live.
If you plan to purchase a house, the median home price in Plant City, FL, is $339,950. The housing market in Plant City is very competitive, and the homes often go pending within 11 days. Check out some of the available homes for sale in Plant City.
Purchasing a house isn’t for everyone, and that’s okay. The average rent in Plant City is between $1,360 and $2,895+. The prices are dependent if you get a home or an apartment, the number of bedrooms, and the location.
Plant City Neighborhood | Where to Live in Plant City
The top-rated neighborhood to consider moving to in Plant City:
Walden Lake | Waterfront Community
Walden Lake is a quiet place to call home and is one of the go-to communities within Plant City. With an abundant number of trees and a waterfront view, this neighborhood is a place to escape from the hustle of everyday life.
Plant City Weather & Climate
The spring and summer months are hot, oppressive, and wet, with temperatures ranging from the high 80s to the mid-90s. The fall and winter months are short and cloudy, with the temperatures ranging from the low 70s to mid-80s. When it comes to the best time to visit, you’ll want to visit between February and May, or later in the year, around October to December.
Plant City has an average rainfall of 41.9 inches per year, but at least you don’t need to worry about getting snow!
Florida is prone to hurricanes, so prepare ahead of time by having enough water, food, medication, and pet supplies on hand.
Things to Do in Plant City
Dinosaur World | A Plant City Family Fun Activity
Dinosaur World is the ideal family-friendly destination where you can explore hundreds of different life-sized dinosaurs within their natural habitats.
Edward Medard Conservation Park | One Of The Largest Parks In The County
With 700 acres in Plant City, you can go canoeing, boating, fishing, explore hiking trails, play disc golf or beach volleyball, spend time on the playground, or go bird watching–making this a family-friendly activity that is perfect for all ages.
Plant City Farm & Flea Market | “Country Village Flea Market”
Since 1978, Plant City Farm & Flea Market has been the go-to spot for residents to find some of the best produce in town while supporting local vendors.
Additional Places To Visit In Plant City
- Parkesdale Farm Market 3702 W Baker St, Plant City, FL 33563
- Mike E Sansone Community Park 1702 N Park Rd, Plant City, FL 33563
- McCall Park 100 N Collins St, Plant City, FL 33563
- Robert W Willaford Railroad Museum 102 N Palmer St, Plant City, FL 33563
- Blackwater Creek Nature Preserve 2469 Patrinostro Rd, Plant City, FL 33565
Plant City Restaurants
Food is everything. Here are some of the top-rated food options in Plant City, FL.
Keel and Curley Winery | High-Quality & Locally Grown Ingredients
Since 1981, Keel Farms has been known for having locally grown and self-sustaining food that is healthy. It’s a family-friendly environment and perfect for people of all ages.
View this post on Instagram
Johnson Barbeque | Favorite Restaurant In Plant City Since 1954
The legacy of Johnson’s Bar-B-Que started when the owner Elton Johnson transformed an old gas station into a one-of-a-kind restaurant in 1954. Since then, it’s become a staple in the Plant City community.
View this post on Instagram
Wasabi Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar | Modern Japanese Grill
As a contemporary Japanese restaurant, they have hibachi tables, a great sushi bar, and delicious cocktails. Everything is made fresh daily and gives you a one-of-a-kind experience.
203 W Alexander St, Plant City, FL 33563 (813) 754-8866
View this post on Instagram
Additional Restaurants In Plant City
- Smokin’ Aces BBQ & Steakhouse Plant City 2509 N Park Rd, Plant City, FL 33563
- Snellgrove’s Restaurant 109 S Collins St, Plant City, FL 33563
- Fred’s Market Restaurant 1401 W Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Plant City, FL 33563
- Olde Town Pizzeria & Pasta Co 3011 James L Redman Pkwy, Plant City, FL 33566
- Brick House Cafe 206 S Evers St, Plant City, FL 33563
- Norma’s Plant City 120 N Collins St, Plant City, FL 33563
- 1916 Irish Pub 2309 Thonotosassa Rd, Plant City, FL 33563
Jobs in Plant City
Plant City has an unemployment rate of 4%, which is 2% below the national average. According to Payscale, the average salary in Plant City is $60,000 per year, and the average hourly wage is $15.51.
Plant City Schools
The school district in Plant City is part of the Hillsborough School District. Here are a few options:
If you’re interested in attending college, here are some of the top local universities: the University of South Florida Main Campus, Hillsborough Community College, the University of Tampa, Warner University, and St. Petersburg College.
The local Plant City library is the Bruton Memorial Library.
Plant City Statistics & Information
- Plant City Square Miles: 29.12
- Plant City County: Hillsborough
- Plant City Zip Codes: 33563-33567
- Plant City Area Codes: (813)
- Plant City Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time (EST) and Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
- The Closest Airport: Tampa International Airport is the closest airport to Plant City and the total distance is 30 miles away
- Plant City Elevation: 128 feet above sea level
Map of Plant City
To help you find more amenities, attractions, restaurants, and fun things to do in Plant City, FL, check out this map!
Moving to Plant City
Considering moving to Plant City, FL? As an award-winning moving company, 2 College Brothers is the #1 team of Plant City movers. Call us today at (813) 922-1528 for a free quote!