We all can agree that moving in Tampa can be stressful given a variety of factors. Moving with young children can prove to be even more challenging because there are so many additional steps that need to be taken before the moving process begins. Below we’ve put together a small list of activities to help your family move go smoothly.
Leading up to Moving Day
Involve your children in the moving process by preparing them for the big day. Change for kids isn’t always easy, and this will be a stressful time in their lives too. Explain to them why you are moving and why it’s necessary and/or beneficial for the entire family. You will find that your children will be more cooperative for when the moving day comes.
- Assigning your children small tasks to keep them interested and occupied.
- Checking under the beds
- Sorting through old clothes
- Marking boxes
- Placing items in boxes
- Doing room inventories
- It is a good idea to pack a cooler of food and snacks for the family the morning before the movers arrive.
On Moving Day
This is the day that you have been preparing your family for. The movers will be in and out for several hours, and you want your kids to be on their best behavior so the process can happen as smooth as possible. Try using a reward system:
- Arrange a mini trip to their favorite local place; whether that may be the weekend fair or a certain museum.
- Offer to take them out for treats if everything goes well.
- Consider arranging a play date or arranging your kids to spend time with other family members during the move.
- Consider bringing them by the old place to say a final goodbye.
After Moving Day!
Moving into a new place takes some getting used to for most of us. Depending on the circumstances, you may not be able to unpack everything on the first day. If possible, order in your family’s favorite meal and have an indoor or outdoor picnic. This gives you the opportunity to connect with one another while also getting familiar with the new place. Play a board game or watch a movie. The key to this is for everyone to not feel estranged. Make it a family objective to unpack a room of boxes each day and focus on organizing as you go.