It’s clear you should retire in Clearwater Florida! SmartAsset ranks Clearwater in the top 10 American cities for retirees to live and work, pointing to the city’s low taxes, cost of living, and crime rates. Another thing that makes Clearwater great for retirees is the sheer number of retirement communities in Clearwater. Before you talk to senior movers, you should determine the best 55 plus communities in Clearwater Florida. Here is your comprehensive guide.
Table of Contents
What Is a 55+ Community?
A 55+ community is an age-restricted community, meaning that only households with at least one person 55 years of age or older can move in. You can move with your spouse, children, and other family members, or by yourself. 55+ communities can offer homes for sale, apartments, condos, and other residences.
55+ communities can be retirement communities, but you can continue to work while living in a 55+ community. They are sometimes called active adult communities to distinguish them from assisted living facilities. They are intended for adults who can care for themselves, unlike nursing homes or assisted living centers.
Benefits of Living in Retirement Communities in Clearwater
There are many benefits of Clearwater Florida 55+ communities. They include:
- Quieter streets without loud children and cars
- Opportunities to network with people your age and in your industry
- Amenities like housekeeping, on-site fitness centers and restaurants, and free classes
- Affordable options for housing and choices for home loans, mortgages, and monthly payment plans
- Increased safety; many communities have on-site security, lighted parking lots, and community buildings with working fire alarms and marked exits
- Maintaining an active lifestyle; many communities have on-site golf courses, tennis courts, and walking paths
- On-site staffers who can help you with moving to Clearwater and maintaining your home
- Management boards who plan out public events, settle disputes between residents, and maintain the property
Some 55 and over communities in Clearwater Florida are gated communities. This can increase safety and make your neighborhood feel more exclusive and luxurious.
On Top of the World | Centrally Located Clearwater Community With Great Clubs
On Top of the World is a gated condominium community for residents 55 years of age and older. The buildings are conveniently located next to Route 19, making it a good place for commuters and active residents. Several supermarkets and family-friendly attractions like Celebration Station are within walking distance.
If you want to take the bus, On Top of the World offers a bus service with free rides to local shopping centers. You can also get discounted or free services from groups like Neighborly Care Network, which offers shuttle rides for people in wheelchairs.
Residents take part in more than 100 clubs and civic organizations. The most popular clubs include the Canadian Club, which celebrates Canadian culture. You can also join travel, book, and poker clubs.
- Address: 2284 World Parkway Boulevard West, Clearwater, FL 33763
- Phone: 727-799-3417
- Amenities: Billiards hall, card room, dog park, fitness center, golf courses, gym, heated outdoor pool, horseshoe pits, indoor spa, lawn bowling, shuffleboard courts, tennis courts
- Housing: One, two, and three-bedroom condos for sale
- Pricing: One-time fee for buying your property with monthly HOA fees
Village on the Green | Low-Maintenance Community With Lush Green Spaces
Village on the Green is a deed-restricted, 55+ community. Despite being located near Route 19 and Florida State Road 580, the area has a rural aesthetic. The community is adjacent to a pond open to fishing, and landscapes are well-maintained with lush grass and large trees.
All properties are within walking distance of a central clubhouse. The clubhouse contains a library, fitness center, and rooms you can rent for private events.
The HOA in charge of Village on the Green Clearwater FL has several committees responsible for lawn care, irrigation, and fencing. You can request maintenance through the community website, so you do not have to paint your own home or trim your grass.
- Address: 2593 Oakleaf Lane, Clearwater, FL 33763
- Phone: 727-726-8000
- Amenities: Banquet hall, card room, clubhouse, fitness center, heated pool, lake for fishing, library, shuffleboard court
- Housing: One and two-bedroom condos and villas in single-story and two-story buildings for sale
- Pricing: One-time fee for buying your property with monthly maintenance fees
Bayside Waters | Friendly Neighbors in Affordable and Customizable Clearwater Homes
Bayside Waters Clearwater FL is a pet-friendly manufactured home community. Waterfront properties are available for all residents. You can set up your primary residence or buy a second home in Bayside Waters. The community is compact, so you have many opportunities to meet your neighbors. The management team runs regular community events, including holiday parties and cookouts.
Bayside Waters is one of the most affordable 55 plus communities in Clearwater Florida. You can buy two-bedroom homes that cover more than 800 square feet for less than $100,000. You can customize a new home, and the management team has a list of lenders for home loans and mortgages.
- Address: 19709 US Highway 19 N, Clearwater, FL 33764
- Phone: 727-531-4476
- Amenities: Billiards room, card room, clubhouse, heated swimming pool, hot tub, laundry facilities, library, recreation hall, shuffleboard courts, spa
- Housing: One and two-bedroom homes for sale
- Pricing: One-time entry fee with monthly service fees and payments for Clearwater utilities
Royal Stewart Arms | Best Clearwater 55+ Community for Outdoor Activities and Spaces
Royal Stewart Arms is a deed-restricted community located on Honeymoon Island. The island is north of Clearwater in the town of Dunedin. Moving to Dunedin lets you get away from the tourists while enjoying beautiful beaches. Pets are not allowed in any building, which makes the buildings cleaner and quieter.
Royal Stewart Arms is one of the most expensive 55+ communities in Clearwater Florida. Most condos cost more than $300,000 to buy. However, you have access to some of the best outdoor spaces and amenities in the Clearwater area. You can live within walking distance of Honeymoon Island State Park and Dunedin Beach. You can also take shuttles to various beaches, parks, and small islands nearby.
- Address: 1 Royal Stewart Parkway, Dunedin, FL 34698
- Phone: 727-733-3151
- Amenities: Fishing pier, fitness center, heated swimming pool, pickleball courts, sauna, shuffleboard courts, steam room, tennis courts, walking trails
- Housing: One, two, and three-bedroom condos of various sizes for sale
- Pricing: One-time purchase of your property with monthly HOA fees
Twin Lakes | Accessible Mobile Home Community Close to Transportation and Stores
Twin Lakes is a resort-style manufactured housing community. Residents can live with indoor cats, though not with dogs. The community is located near major roads, bus stops, and stores, including a Publix supermarket.
The homes are mobile homes, making them good for single people. However, you can buy two and three-bedroom properties that cover more than 1,000 square feet if you need more space. Most homes are available for less than $100,000.
Community events include potluck dinners, holiday parties, and movie nights. You can participate in an offsite golf league with weekly meetings.
- Address: 2419 Gulf to Bay Boulevard, Clearwater, FL 33765
- Phone: 727-799-4807
- Amenities: Billiard room, card room, full kitchen, heated swimming pool, laundry facilities, library, shuffleboard courts
- Housing: One, two, and three-bedroom mobile homes for sale
- Pricing: One-time purchase of your home with lot rent fees for utilities, trash pickup, and lawn mowing
Pine Berry Senior Apartments | Comfortable Senior Apartments With Terrific Amenities
Pine Berry is an apartment complex reserved for residents 55 years old and older. Apartments are cheap, with one-bedroom homes costing less than $700 per month. Pine Berry is pet-friendly, but you must pay a non-refundable $400 fee and a $20 monthly fee for each animal you bring in.
All apartments come with amenities like central heating and air systems, dishwashers, and ice makers. Kitchens have full-sized appliances and ceramic tiles that are easy to clean. All apartments are handicap-accessible, and the buildings have elevators for residents in wheelchairs.
The community is within 10 minutes of downtown Clearwater. It is across the street from Highland Plaza, a strip mall with convenience stores, hair salons, and small restaurants.
- Address: 1225 South Highland Avenue, Clearwater, FL 33756
- Phone: 727-259-7064
- Amenities: Business center, clubhouse, fitness center, laundry center, library, movie theater, swimming pool, vending area
- Housing: One and two-bedroom apartments for rent and sale
- Pricing: Monthly rent with additional fees for pet owners
Hampton Apartments | Furnished Clearwater Apartments With Unique On-Site Services
Hampton Apartments is a pet-friendly 55+ community. The apartments in Clearwater contain stainless steel appliances, screened-in patios, and large walk-in closets. In the event of an emergency, you can use emergency pull cords to summon staffers or first responders.
Hampton has several amenities that you cannot find in other Clearwater 55+ communities. You can use services at an on-site hearing center and home health care agency. You can receive daily assurance checks from staffers and invite guests to stay in on-site guest suites.
Hampton Apartments is within walking distance of Ruth Eckerd Hall, one of the leading performing arts venues in Tampa Bay. You can also visit several green spaces, including Kapok Park and Del Oro Park.
- Address: 1099 McMullen Booth Road, Clearwater, FL 33759
- Phone: 727-726-8861
- Amenities: Arts and crafts room, beauty salon, billiard hall, business center, card room, fitness center, heated pool, movie theater, restaurant, sewing room, spa, woodshop
- Housing: One and two-bedroom apartments for rent
- Pricing: Monthly rent
Map of Retirement Communities in Clearwater FL
You can use this map to find the best Clearwater retirement communities!
Your options for Clearwater retirement communities are extensive! Whether you want to rent or buy a place to live and regardless of what amenities you want, you can find the perfect place to spend your golden years in Clearwater.
But don’t move to Clearwater by yourself. 2 College Brothers has a team of experienced Clearwater Movers. Get your free quote at 813-922-1528.