With fantastic weather, dozens of golf courses, and no state income tax, St. Petersburg, Florida, is the perfect place to retire. Those looking to settle down and enjoy their twilight years in the company of other retirees will find many St Petersburg 55+ communities to choose from. However, not all offer the same quality of life and amenities as others, so it’s essential to do some research. To help you plan the next phase of your life, here’s a look at the best 55+ communities in St Petersburg.
Table of Contents
What is a 55+ Community?
A 55+ community, also known as an active adult or retirement community, is designed for residents ready to enjoy their retirement years. They are perfect for those who are either already retired or planning their exit from the workforce and want to live in a community of other homeowners in the same stage of life. The best St Petersburg retirement communities frequently feature planned activities, lifestyle amenities, and homes designed for comfort. However, they differ from other types of senior living facilities, such as assisted living and nursing homes, because residents still have independence and don’t require assistance from nurses, caretakers, or medical professionals.
Benefits of Living in a 55+ Community
There are numerous benefits to 55 and older communities in St Petersburg. In addition to the apparent benefits you receive from living in a sunny paradise like Saint Petersburg, you can also enjoy all the social activities, programs, and amenities of a retirement community.
Pros of Saint Petersburg 55+ Communities
- Independence and Community: 55+ communities allow you to live independently while still enjoying the company of other residents and couples in the same stage of life.
- Safety: Many 55+ communities are gated and feature robust security so that you can feel safe at all times.
- Programs and amenities: The top retirement communities in Saint Petersburg feature a wide variety of social programs and attractive amenities such as swimming pools, fitness centers, golf courses, and more.
- Affordability: Although the exact cost will depend on the location, many communities offer affordable living for those who plan to live off their retirement savings.
- Upkeep and Maintenance: Upkeep and maintenance is typically taken care of by the HOA or management company, so you can relax and enjoy your retirement.
Cons of St Petersburg 55+ Communities
- HOA Rules: You will likely have to contend with a homeowners association, which may have strict rules and regulations about what is permitted.
- Small Homes: The properties in 55+ communities tend to be small to accommodate those looking to downsize.
No Onsite Medical Staff: Unlike nursing homes, there is no onsite medical care, so if you need routine assistance, you may want to look at other options.
Westminster Palms – A St Petersburg Retirement Community for Residents of All Stages of Live
Westminster Palms is one of the premier retirement communities in St Petersburg, with options for residents at all stages of life, including an independent living option. Some of the benefits of living in Westminster Palms include maintenance-free living, a fitness center, a variety of delicious dining options, housekeeping, lifelong learning opportunities, and 24/7 security. It’s also situated directly on Tampa Bay, and offers breathtaking views and the opportunity for boating, fishing, and other outdoor adventures. Westminster Palms also offers assisted living options, including nursing care, rehabilitation and therapy, and more. So as you transition to other stages of life and need more assistance, you can stay within the same facility.
- Address: 939 Beach Dr. NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- Phone: (727) 610-7442
- Amenities: Fitness center, 24/7 security, adult learning, housekeeping, maintenance
- Housing: Studios, one bedroom, two bedrooms with a den
- Pricing: Entrance fees start at $58,400, and monthly fees begin at $1,977
Boca Ciega Point – A Laidback Saint Petersburg 55+Community on the Gulf
Boca Ciega Point is a fun, active community for residents 55 and up that offers easy access to the gulf and various activities and amenities. Located in Northwest St. Petersburg, the community is 1/2 mile from Madeira Beach and minutes from John’s Pass, a fishing village full of restaurants, shops, and other attractions. Boca Ciega Point features an array of one-story and high-rise units directly on the water with nearby docks and boat lifts. Residents enjoy round-the-clock security, two clubhouses, a heated pool, a fitness center, a library, a putting green, and courts for tennis, picked ball, bocce, shuffleboard, and horseshoes. So if you’re looking to spend your retirement having fun and soaking up the sun, Boca Ciega Point is one of the top 55 and up communities in St Petersburg.
- Address: 275 Boca Ciega Point Blvd, St. Petersburg, FL 33708
- Phone: (727) 398-1270
- Amenities: Docks, boat lifts, security gate, sports courts, fitness center, library, putting green
- Housing: 365 single-story and high-rise units
- Pricing: Home prices start in the mid $200 K and go up to a low $600 K plus monthly HOA fees
Harbour’s Edge Senior Apartments – Luxury Living for Seniors 55+
Harbour’s Edge is a housing complex in the heart of St. Petersburg exclusively created for residents 55 and up. Designed for comfort and convenience, the community is just minutes from shopping and dining in downtown St. Petersburg and outdoor activities at South Straub Park and the St. Petersburg marina. The building features luxury apartments with chef-style kitchens, stainless steel appliances, and a modern open floor plan. Residents can also enjoy various community amenities such as a clubhouse, business center, fitness studio, courtyard, and a collector’s edition 1975 Mustang Pool table. For those with furry friends, pets are allowed, but there is a limit of two and a weight limit of 30 pounds each. With modern apartments and community events, Harbour’s Edge is an excellent place for retirees looking to live an active lifestyle.
- Address: 420 4th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- Phone: (877) 766-5067
- Amenities: clubhouse, pool table, fitness center, nutrition classes, maintenance, parking garage
- Housing: One to three-bedroom units
- Pricing: rent $1,000 – $2,000, own $500,000 to $1,000,000
The Fountains at Boca Ciega Bay – A Resort-Style 55 and Over Community in Saint Petersburg
The Fountains at Boca Ciega Bay is a St Petersburg retirement community offering scenic views and lifestyle amenities. Their independent living community is perfect for retirees who don’t need the extra assistance but want access to the amazing lifestyle the community offers. The community features an impressive selection of onsite amenities, including a 24/7 concierge, a cafe, a computer center, a chapel, a pool table, a spa, a county store, and multiple outdoor spaces. There is even a dog park for those who want to bring their canine companion. Residents can enjoy classes and community events, from cooking workshops to ballroom dancing lessons. So if you’re looking to retire in style, The Fountains is one of the top retirement communities in St. Petersburg.
- Phone: (727) 381-5411
- Amenities: concierge, cafe, pool table, spa, dog park, fitness center, outdoor spaces
- Housing: Studios to two bedrooms
- Pricing: Base fee plus rent, pricing varies depending on the size of the unit and level of care.
The Manhattan – St. Petersburg – Where Elegance Meets Comfort
The Manhattan is an exclusive active adult community located in St. Petersburg’s marina district. It’s one of the most sought-after St. Petersburg 55+ communities with panoramic views of the water and spacious, light-filled apartments. Membership at the Manhattan includes an array of exclusive amenities such as a heated rooftop pool, sky deck with bocce courts, fitness center with a juice bar and aerobics studio, a full-service spa, and a 116-seat auditorium and theater. The Manhattan combines high-end living with a relaxing ambiance that is perfect for those who want to enjoy their retirement in luxury.
- Address: 3680 46th Ave S #309, St. Petersburg, FL 33711
- Phone: (941) 220-5219
- Amenities: restaurants, sky deck, fitness center, auditorium, rooftop pool, sports courts
- Housing: 1 to 3-bedroom homes
- Pricing: One-time membership fee starting at $290,000
The Princess Martha – An Upscale St. Petersburg Retirement Community
The Princess Martha is an upscale 55+ community in the heart of downtown St. Petersburg. Designed to offer an active and culturally rich lifestyle, The Princess Martha offers an array of inclusive services and a full calendar of community events. Residents enjoy complimentary meals prepared by a professional chef, served three times daily. They can also partake in community events seven days per week, ranging from shopping trips to bridge and bingo. Other amenities include a rooftop pool, mezzanine bar, movie theater, and more. Plus, it’s just minutes from downtown St. Petersburg, offering the perfect mix of inclusivity and convenience.
- Address: 411 1st Ave N, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- Phone: (727) 894-6788
- Amenities: rooftop pool, community events, lounge, bar, dining room, movie theater
- Housing: 1 to 2-bedroom homes
- Pricing: Rents range from $2450 to $3100 with an additional $1095 fee for any additional persons on the lease.
Terrace Park of 5 Towns – A Peaceful 55 and Over Community in St. Petersburg
Terrace Park of 5 Towns is a popular condominium complex in St. Petersburg with a 55+ age restriction. The active adult community features a relaxed resort-style setting just minutes away from sandy beaches and the Gulf of Mexico. Residents will enjoy two clubhouses with libraries, fitness centers, billiards, card rooms, and event spaces for community gatherings and parties. What it lacks in upscale attractions, it makes up for in serenity and a relaxed pace of life, making it the ideal retirement community in St. Petersburg for those searching for peace and quiet.
- Address: 7975 Terrace Park Dr. N, St. Petersburg, FL 33709
- Phone: (727) 544-4205
- Amenities: clubhouses, libraries, fitness center, event spaces
- Housing: 1 to 2-bedroom condos
- Pricing: $150,000-$300,000
Map of Retirement Communities in Saint Petersburg
Ready to retire to sunny St Petersburg? Enlist the help of 2 College Brothers to make your journey easy and painless. Call 813-922-1528 or fill out the form on our website to request a free quote.